Tuesday, July 1, 2008

And Now, A Taste Of Things To Come.

Well, now that we’re more than a month into the summer, I figure it’s time to roll out an ambitious slate of topics for summertime posts.

I’ve set a(n arbitrary) goal of thirty posts for the summer, assuming that the summer ends with the beginning of October:

First up is the hard-hitting five-part series Five Things to Love About LOST. Like all great journalism, this series is going to contain spoilers—Upton Sinclair spoiled the meat industry, I’m just following in his footsteps. I swear, if this hastily-written, poorly-thought-out series of posts on a blog with a weekly readership that literally reaches into the ones and sometimes even beyond doesn’t win me a Pulitzer, I don’t know what will. (Sadly, ABC is considerably touchier about posting covert LOST clips on YouTube than they are about Sports Night, so I won’t be able to provide A/V aids.)

Next up is an idea that occurred to me as I was preparing to leave work this evening but that seems decent enough: a ten-part series re-visiting the movies that I most consistently list as my “top ten” and deciding if each one still deserves to be there or if it should be kicked to the curb, forced never to come ‘round here no more.

Also, starting this month, I’ll be introducing a new monthly series called Just As I Thought! Each month, I’ll be featuring a book, album, movie, or TV show that is exactly as bad as I thought it would be. (I wanted to kick this off with the latest movie from the director who inspired it, M. Night Shyamalan's The Happening, but I think I’ve missed my chance to catch it in theaters.)

Those of you who paid attention in pre-calc may be able to see that I’ve only accounted for eighteen of the thirty posts. Well, my count is retro-active, so those two other posts I did in June count (though this one does not). That brings us to twenty, leaving plenty of space for me to deliver all of the lightweight political and theological commentary you’ve long-since given up hope that I’d be producing. (In fact, in one of those rare instances in which I don’t have to inject my faith into a political story, I’ll be back within 24 hours with my thoughts on Mr. Obama's terrible idea.)

I’d also like to commit one of those posts to the first draft of a new short story in order to get feedback, but I don’t know if I have the discipline necessary to get a draft out in the middle of what promises to be a busy couple months. Until next time, vote Edwards/Huckabee in 2008!

No comments: